The United Nations has rejected the direction of the administration of president Donald Trump to include Ansarullah in on the “lists of terrorist organisations.”
UN Secretary-General António Guterres warned against any unilateral moves, as the United States threatens to blacklist Ansarullah.
Guterres made the remarks on Friday, as aid workers have already raised fears that if Washington carries out its threat in designating Ansarullah as a so-called Foreign Terrorist Organisation (FTO), it will bar life-saving aid from reaching the impoverished country.
Earlier this week, some diplomatic sources revealed that the administration of US president Donald Trump was preparing to blacklist Ansarullah, a movement that forms a key part of the National Salvation Government that has ruled Yemen since the September 21 Revolution of 2014.
“In this very fragile situation in relation to famine and in this hopeful moment in relation to conversations, we believe that any other unilateral initiative will probably not be positive. I don’t think we should rock the boat at the present moment,” the UN chief said during a press conference when asked about US plans regarding Yemen.
According to the UN, more than 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger. The world body also refers to the situation in Yemen as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
“In the absence of immediate action, millions of lives may be lost,” Guterres said in a statement earlier on Friday.
Children are among the most vulnerable victims of the Saudi war on Yemen, but the issue has barely drawn any international response.
The UN children’s agency warned in late June that the shortage of humanitarian assistance amid the coronavirus pandemic threatened to push more children in Yemen to the brink of starvation.