Over 670,000 more Yemenis estimated to be internally displaced by end of 2021 if war continues

Over 670,000 more Yemenis estimated to be internally displaced by end of 2021 if war continues

The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has on Tuesday confirmed that as the conflict in Yemen, the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, enters its seventh year, another 672,000 people could be displaced by the end of 2021 if current levels of violence continue, according to United Nations predictions.

“The Yemenis have endured six years of empty promises from world leaders, and many of them continue to fan the flames of this war,” the council said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

The statement indicated that there is a need at present to take decisive measures to stop the harsh countdown to famine, which can be completely avoided.

“The Yemenis need three things to reverse this nightmare: a ceasefire to prevent famine, a doubling of aid, and resumed peace talks,” Norwegian Refugee Council Secretary-General Jan Egeland said

“When I visited Yemen earlier this month, I was deeply shocked at how inhumane the situation has become after six long years of war,” Egeland added.

Egeland explained that six years of war had a devastating impact on the Yemeni people, their economy, and their development, which brought the human development of the country back 21 years and robbed the future of an entire generation

Join the discussion