Sudan will be removed from a US blacklist of countries accused of sponsoring terrorism, US President Donald Trump said on Monday.
The US president has said he is willing to remove Sudan from a terror blacklist once it pays an agreed compensation package to American victims and their relatives, according to Deutsche Welle (DW).
He said that the African country’s year-old transitional government had agreed to pay a $335 million (€285 million) package to American victims of attacks and their relatives.
GREAT news! New government of Sudan, which is making great progress, agreed to pay $335 MILLION to U.S. terror victims and families. Once deposited, I will lift Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list. At long last, JUSTICE for the American people and BIG step for Sudan!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 19, 2020
“At long last, JUSTICE for the American people and BIG step for Sudan,” Trump posted on Twitter.
“Once deposited, I will lift Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list,” he added.
Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok replied to Trump, thanking him for the move.
“We very much look forward to your official notification to Congress rescinding the designation of Sudan as a state-sponsor of terrorism, which has cost Sudan too much,” he wrote.
Washington blacklisted Sudan in 1993, accusing the regime led by Omar al-Bashir of supporting terrorist organisations.
Bashir, who was ousted by protests last year, had links with Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin-Laden.