Several Iraqi forces have been killed in US airstrikes against positions of the Arab country’s military units in Jurf al-Sakhar, Babil province, local sources and media reports said.
At least four explosions were heard on Monday night in Jurf al-Sakhar region, according to local sources.
The attacks were apparently launched by US F 16 warplanes and drones, and have killed nine Iraqi military forces so far, sources close to the Popular Mobilisation Forces said.
US warplanes were flying over the al-Qaem area near the Iraqi-Syrian border following the attack, Beirut-based Al Mayadeen TV channel reported.
While several PMF units – especially those of Kata’ib Hezbollah – used to be stationed in the region, some Iraqi sources suggested that the airstrikes have specifically targeted Iraqi army personnel, despite there being no official hostility between the United States and the Republic of Iraq.
Despite speculations about the US role in the airstrikes, a senior US military official claimed in an interview with Fox News that there “were no US airstrikes near Baghdad tonight.”
Source: Al-Ahad News Website