Mohammed al-Houthi: No direct Saudi peace initiative has been offered so far

Mohammed al-Houthi: No direct Saudi peace initiative has been offered so far

Member of the Supreme Political Council, Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi, has said on Wednesday that Yemen has still not received any official initiative from Saudi Arabia, and that what had been announced was “a media call” only.

“If Saudi Arabia was serious about the issue, it would send the initiative in order to be approved by the parties as a real initiative,” Al-Houthi told the Russian Sputnik news agency in an exclusive interview.

He continued: “The fact that they put it to the media without us are being officially informed of it, suggests that there is a lack of seriousness on the part of the Saudis to stop their aggression against Yemen.”

Al-Houthi added that Sana’a government does want a ceasefire, an end to the aggression and a lifting of the siege through practical actions, but does not want to rely on media statements alone.

Join the discussion