Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi has announced on Friday his resignation from his ministerial position, in the wake of a crisis about Saudi Arabia’s interference in the Yemen war.
“I have decided to give up my ministerial post, due to the mere fact that Lebanon is more important to me than my position. I do not accept being used as a reason to harm the Lebanese people residing in Gulf countries, because the interests of my country and my loved ones are way above my personal ones,” Kordahi said in a press conference held at the Ministry of Information.
“My story has become known, so I do not think that there is a need to delve again into its details. The opinions I had voiced in the famous interview are not binding to the Lebanese government, and the campaigns against me and my family have bothered me a lot,” he added.
“I had been informed by Prime Minister Najib Mikati, that French President Emanuel Macron is scheduled to travel to Saudi Arabia and that France would like me to resign before Macron’s visit to the KSA. In order to take advantage of this promising opportunity by President Marcon, I’m here to tell you that Lebanon is more important than George Kordahi and that the interests of the Lebanese are more important than my position,” the minister said.
Regarding the conflict in Yemen, which had initially caused the diplomatic row, he said, “The war in Yemen will not last forever, and there will come a day when the warring parties will sit at the table for dialogue.”
Saudi Arabia has been, for several weeks, leading attempts to press and bully the Lebanese government in order to force Kordahi’s resignation, over remarks made by Kordahi on the Saudi-led war on Yemen.