At least 50 civilians killed as terrorists strike northern Burkina Faso

At least 50 civilians killed as terrorists strike northern Burkina Faso

At least 50 civilians were killed in a suspected terrorist attack on the the village of Seytenga, Seno province, in northern Burkina Faso.

“So far, 50 bodies have been found,” the government spokesman Lionel Bilgo said on Monday, adding that the search was continuing and the toll could rise.

He said the attacks came as a result of reprisals for the army’s actions against armed elements.

Burkina Faso, particularly the north and east, has been the target of takfiri terrorist attacks since 2015, perpetrated by movements affiliated with al-Qaeda and Daesh, that have left more than 2,000 dead and 1.9 million people displaced.

Join the discussion